Thursday, December 30, 2010

D&D BattleMap Using the UDK

If you've come here from the YouTube videos, then you know what this is about.  If not, let me give you some background.  I'm sure many D&D DMs reach the same conclusion we did: battlemaps are difficult to make interesting.
  • Wet erase vinyl maps require some time and artistic talent to be more than just room-defining walls.  Plus, you can't really prepare them beforehand if the evening's adventure will be in more than one location.
  • Scanning maps from a module, scaling, printing, cutting and taping uses up a lot of material that gets thrown away at the end of the evening.
  • Dungeon tiles are great if the adventure you are running used them.  Otherwise, they can be clunky to try to fit together to match your design.
Which left us with various digital map tools.  But if we're sitting around the table with laptops staring at a networked map, we loose the immersion of using the miniatures.  (More on that later.)

It was during this period of battlemap exploration that we came across the UDK.  We're a group of IT industry professionals who play D&D.  Surely, we could spend some of our gaming time creating our own game, right?  But what game to make?  Soon afterward, Alien Swarm entered the picture and we had our epiphany: if we made a top-down game, why couldn't we just overlay that with a grid and have a fully animated, realistic, 3D battlemap?

Well, we did.  And came up with this:

The next blog will talk about our setup and how we actually use it to play.  Then we'll explain the code we wrote to build it.  Until then, check out some of the other videos.  We're kinda proud of them.  :)

D&D BattleMap Using the UDK - The Setup

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZomBPir8Ninja, I have to tell you I am mightily impressed! I had planned to use the UDK for my battlemaps as well, but, time is not a luxury I have at the moment. I'd love to talk about your techniques at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely sublime. I've had the idea of a projector for D&D a while before I noticed this, but now that I've seen this incredible implementation, I eagerly wait for when you begin discussion on UDK so that I might emulate it for my own campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome man, if you guys plan to sell it I will totally buy! This is ureal! (pun intended) Congrats on Alien Swarm too, it's a great game.

    Please, please, please don't abandon this project this is exactly what the D&D community needs after having the miniatures line, 2011 books, and the RPGA cancelled by WoTC.

    ReplyDelete